Today we suffered the wrath of winter storm, Stella. When I was younger I used to LOVE snow days. I have fond memories of spending hours sledding down my neighbors front yard with friends. After we were sufficiently frozen, we would go inside and warm up by the wood burning stove while drinking hot chocolate. I lived for snow days. However, I remember my dad always dreading them and I never understood why.
Well, here I am 20 years later and I now know why my dad dreaded the snow. One word. SHOVELING. Stella has been teasing us all day. She will let out a glimpse of sunshine, we think its over so we go outside to shovel and than..BOOM she hits us with some more snow.
Even though I am not a big fan of the shoveling part, I still do love snow days. I love the look of freshly fallen snow, I still love playing in the snow but most of all I love spending time cooped up inside with my family. I could count on one hand the number of full days we get to spend together, so it is a real treat to spend some quality time together.
I hope that you feel the same way that I do. Time seems to be something that we all lack. So, today I have compiled a list of things that you can do on this snow day (or any lazy day of the weekend) with your family or by yourself. These activities do not include video games, watching tv or iPads/ipods/iphones/iwhatevers, or any electronic device. Enjoy this down time. Today, do something for yourself. Do not dread the snow. Enjoy every moment because those moments will fly by quicker than you can imagine. I feel like it was just yesterday I was sledding down the neighbors hill and drinking hot chocolate by the wood stove.
1. Play in the snow. Enjoy the snow. Bundle up and go play in it like you are a kid. Have a snow ball fight. Make a snow man or snow angel. Go sledding. Have Fun!
2. Arts & Crafts. Bring back your inner child or (for me) old lady. I love to knit! There is something about it that is just so therapeutic. But it doesn't have to be knitting. Try coloring, drawing, painting, DIY project, anything!
3. Cook. Today is the day to try some new, delicious, healthy recipes you have been longing to try but don't have the time for!
4. Read. Crack open a new book and dive into it. You have the time, take advantage of it.
5. Take a bath. Let the husband take care of the kids and treat yourself to a relaxing bath. Light some candles, listen to some music and just relax.
6. At home workout. Dust off those workout DVDs and put them to good use today. Or maybe do an at home yoga practice. Or maybe just shoveling is enough of a workout for the day!
7. Talk. Enjoy this time you get to spend with your family today. Just talk to each other. Instead of turning on the TV or any other screen, try having a conversation about what is going on in their lives and in yours.
8. Play a game. Bust out your board games or cards! Everyone loves a fun game of Cards Against Humanity OR a family friendly game of Candyland.
9. Clean. I know, I know, everything up until now seemed really fun and than I mentioned the dreaded "cleaning" word. Let's be honest though. Who doesn't feel absolutely AMAZING when everything is clean?? This is the perfect time. Have the whole family chip in and lend a helping hand. Put on some awesome cleaning music and have fun!
Stay warm, stay safe and enjoy this time you have to spend with the ones you love.