Personal trainers, doctors, dietitians, CrossFit, trendy diets and fads, it’s difficult to know which course you should pursue to achieve your fitness and weight-loss goals. Have you ever scrolled through your Facebook feed and seen your friends boast or promote one diet or exercise over another? It can be overwhelming and contradicting.
While many of the aforementioned avenues offer many health-related benefits, only one professional can provide a well-rounded, customized plan that will cater to your needs, abilities, and goals. This professional is the Certified Holistic Health Coach. Yes, folks, that is what I am and I am proud of it!
Obesity is one of the largest health concerns in the United States with 67% of the county’s population who are overweight or obese. That’s a staggering number that has led to 1 in 3 Americans who will develop Type 2 Diabetes or cancer. We all possess the ability to fight this growing problem with our own lifestyle choices. However, too many people are uneducated when it comes to healthy living. Many adopt the mindset that it’s too difficult to stay healthy or that healthy foods and gym memberships are too expensive. If you have had this thought, think about the bigger picture. Would you rather spend a little more money now to educate yourself on health and wellness and get in shape? OR would you rather spend that money on health bills down the line? Your call but I would go with the first option.
So here are a few reasons why a health coach is beneficial:
1. Health Coaches Have Well-Rounded Knowledge
Have you ever found yourself frustrated by not getting the direct answers you’re hoping for? Your doctor already has a lot of his or her plate, so when you ask what you should do to be healthier, you may be faced with the broad, generalized answer, “Diet and exercise.”
That’s all well and good, but you most likely want specifics. Which foods will best help you attain your ideal weight? Which diets are proven and which are fads? How can you know?
Sure, there may be a diet or exercise program your doctor recommends, but the truth is it’s not their field of expertise. And it most likely is not the best program or diet for your unique case.
Health Coaches not only customize a diet plan catered to your goals and health concerns, but they encourage small changes to attain a healthy lifestyle. You’ll be able to find a plan that is made just for you. Based on your body type, your past experiences with weight loss and exercise, your Health Coach will get to know you inside and out in order to find the best plan for you.
2. Health Coaches Tailor Plans According to Your Needs
There are hundreds of diets and exercise plans out there; no doubt you’ve seen them.
Many other health professionals will recommend one and then expect you to follow that plan as outlined. The truth is that not one diet is meant to work for every individual. How many times have you attempted a diet or exercise regimen only to find minimal results? As a result, you’ve most likely felt disheartened and discouraged. Understand that we all have different needs, obstacles, and health concerns. The key to achieving your goals is to follow a plan that is catered to you.
Your Health Coach will take the time to get to know you, your habits, your current diet, your health and wellness goals, what history you have with previous diets and exercises, and then they will work with you to outline a plan designed to help you reach your goals. Sarah Haskins continues:
“We help you implement small changes, little by little, at a pace that’s comfortable for you so you can meet all your health goals. We work with you to help you discover your bio-individuality. There is something that will work for you -- the trick is finding it.”
3. A Health Coach Is Your Friend
How comforting is it to know that your Health Coach will be your colleague and not just someone who will crack a whip? Health Coaches are not drill sergeants; we are supportive mentors and to lead by example.
A Health Coach will inspire and motivate you to achieve the goals you have established together. You’ll have a friend and confidant throughout your journey.
4. Emotional Support And More
Perhaps you’ve wanted more than just information on healthy eating. Fortunately, Health Coaches place a strong emphasis on improving your overall wellness. This means that you that you’ll receive so much more than physical health tips. As reported by Yahoo Beauty:
“Health Coaches look at exercise, eating, wellness, and food not just as calories and weight loss, but also on emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual terms. An Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who’s providing services in this area knows about various aspects of his or her clients’ lives like state of mind, health history background, as well as sleep patterns.”
The ultimate goal of your Health Coach is to improve your quality of life through effective and healthy habits and changes. In order to accomplish this, there must be a strong focus on the overall health of the individual. It could be that the reason previous diets or routines were ineffective was due to emotional or mental stressors. Your Health Coach will dig deep to discover why previous attempts have failed, which will indicate the paths that should work in your individual case.
With a Health Coach, you can rest assured that you’re receiving so much more than just informative guidance; you’ll be receiving a friend and mentor.
Other Benefits To A Healthy Lifestyle
We’ve established the benefits of seeking out a Health Coach, but why should you want to improve your health beyond the obvious reasons? Some people simply accept the mindset, “Well, I gotta die of something, right?” This response may get the occasional chuckle, but there are more benefits to being healthy than a prolonged life.
Save On Medical Bills
○ healthy lifestyle means less visits to the doctor. If you are overweight or obese, then you are subject to other diseases that can increase your medical expenses rather quickly. Contrastly, if you engage in a healthy lifestyle, you’ll have a better chance warding off harmful diseases.
○ Sure, you can experience a sugar rush from candy and desserts, but you’ve surely felt the energy crash that inevitably follows. Saturated fats tend to drain your energy levels, and if your diet consists of many sugars and saturated fats, then not only will you experience significant weight gain, but your energy will slowly decrease. When you base your diet and lifestyle on healthy choices, you’ll experience more energy and vitality than ever before. More energy for quality time with family and friends.
○ It’s no secret that regular exercise can be therapeutic and reduce stress, but healthy foods (such as foods high in Vitamin C and Magnesium) can help moderate your cortisol levels, which is the stress hormone. When you’re stressed or in a chronic state, your body quickly breaks down protein. If you have sufficient protein in your diet you can help the body maintain those cortisol levels as well.
○ When you change your habits and lifestyle to become more health-oriented, your own self-worth increases, especially as you see results in your physical appearance. It’s easy to be hard on yourself when you constantly feel tired or out of shape. Start today on your path to a healthy lifestyle and watch your self-confidence grow as a result.
So there you are, some of the many reasons why Health Coaches are very beneficial. We are here to help those people that feel lost and just don't know where to start with their health all the way to those that just need a little nudge in the right direction or motivational support. Whatever your reason is, it doesn't hurt to reach out to a health coach for an initial free health consultation to discuss your health goals. Its almost 2017, start it off right by making a resolution to take control of your health not only for yourself but for your loved ones as well.