Since we have moved into the boondocks, I find myself trying to run all my errands at once. This means that I am gone for the majority of the day. I love going out for a nice meal occasionally, but I hate ALWAYS eating out. It is expensive and I prefer to make my own food. So while I am on the go, I pack a goodie bag of healthy snacks (sometimes even a meal if I am gone most of the day).
If you are like me and feel like you are on the go the majority of the day, here are a list of some simple, healthy snacks to take with you.
1. Ants on a log - I used to eat these all the time as a kid. It was one of my favorite snacks. Chop up some celery, add peanut butter or almond butter and top it with raisins or almonds.
2. Mixed Nut Trail Mix - I typically will buy just mixed nuts or I will buy mixed nuts with raisins.
3. Protein Shake - In our house we use Vega Protein or Swiig. I use water (my husband uses almond milk), add one scoop protein, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 avocado, a handful of spinach (you can't taste it, I promise), blend it up. I, also, will add flax or chia seeds and sometimes some Maca powder if I am feeling a little tired that day.
4. Kind Bar, Larabar or Cliff Bar - Try to find an energy bar or protein bar with no artificial sweeteners in it. Find a bar where you know all the ingredients listed on the table. Better yet, make your own energy bar.
You can make your own bars (or energy balls) by adding your favorite ingredients to a food processor. I use oats, dates (sometimes prunes), organic unsweetened peanut butter, flax, cinnamon, coconut oil. I process it and than add any toppings such as, coconut, dark chocolate chips, raisins etc. Mix with a spoon (or hands) and than mold into energy bars. Place them on a cookie sheet with wax paper. Place in refrigerator and than enjoy!
5. Hummus and veggies
6. Greek Yogurt - I always buy unsweetened yogurt and add fruit to it.
7. Hardboiled Egg
I hope this has helped! If you would like any more advice or help with how to prepare any of these snacks, please feel free to contact me.
Have a great week!
Lisa Catherine Kenny